WELCOME!!! This a monthly Art Challenge for anyone who wants to participate. Each month, I will post a poem written by me, and one or more photos relating to that poem. The photos will serve as reference photos for your artwork, which will be posted on WINDOWS TO THE WORDS ART. See complete guidelines on the right hand side bar. ENJOY!!!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

June Challenge - REFLECTIONS (And Setting Up for July)

The May Challenge of Flying Colors (Butterflies) really had some extraordinary artwork. I am overwhelmed with pride that I am so fortunate as to have such talent displayed on Windows to the Words Art. Thank you for participating and thank you for viewing....CLICK HERE. The cross pendant was awarded to Pat Koscienski by my panel of judges and Faith Te of the Philllipines willm be getting a Tiny Texas Treasures package.

The theme for June is REFLECTIONS...but bef
ore I present that, let's get set up for the July Challenge which will be a "Pooch Portrait Exchange". All during the month of June, those of you who want to participate, send me a clear photo of your favorite canine (nice, sharp head shot preferred). On July 1, I will EMail you a dog photo for you to portrait...that dog's owner will be painting YOUR dog. At the end of the challenge, it would be nice to have you all exchange your artwork. I'd love to see at least 20 doggie photos hit my inbox for a challenge of ten pairings (or more). Got a question? Drop me an EM.

Now then, REFLECTIONS can be a challenge to paint. So there it is. A reflected gleam of light on a bottle or glass can have a dramatic effect on an otherwise drab painting....IF it's done properly. I've prese
nted 4 interesting reference photos that exhibit reflections. Using all or part of the photo, see what you can come up with. I WILL RANDOM DRAW FROM THE SUBMISSIONS FOR A SURPRISE GIFT FROM DICK BLICK.

The Four reference photos are displayed beneath my corny little poem:

WHAT I SEE ODYSSEY

Light is a magician...
It leads our mind to wonder,
If what we see is rea
l,
Or a spell it's c
ast us under.

A wine bottle now stands empty,
Its contents long consumed,
But in the midday sunlight,
A sparkling life resumes.

A '57 Chevy..
Its owner's life long prize,
With constant buff an
d polishing,
Chrome bumpers blind
the eyes.

Reflection is the basis,
Of the force that light commands,
Providing gleaming images,
That few truly understand.

As in gazing in a mirror,
At some odd times we react,
What hidden secrets lu
rk behind,
The face that's looking back.



Box of Rocks


Ladle Line-Up


Tabasco Fiasco


The Old Bottle Gang

Send your submissions to Windowstothewords@gmail.com by July 1. Happy ARTing!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah reflections of a glorious past keeps some moving forward with their indomitable pride.Some prized posessions may look funny for onlookers,but they fail to realize what is passion.Nice poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I think your choice for this month challenge is great. I will try my best to participate (in spite of busy work days). My fav is #4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Poem.. the philosophy underneath is appealing. Well, the 4 th picture has inspired me to do an abstract!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem says so much and really makes you think about things taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete